Rat Frink is saying goodbye, and we are heartbroken.
The first time I met Rat Frink was a chilly, windy night in Redwood City. I wasn’t brand-new to derby, but I was new to PRG, and it was one of my first practices with the league: off-skates workouts at the community center. I remember seeing a stroller just off to the side – mere weeks after having her second child, Rat was learning the ins and outs of skating and roller derby. That stroller would become a familiar sight at practices to come, and every time I saw it, I always felt such a surge of admiration for Rat, for making it all seem so easy and seamless.
Rat is a woman of many talents, and she is a woman of immense strength, inside and out. When she’s not being an inspiration to us other moms, serving as league president, and terrorizing opponents on the track, she’s also sewing amazing garments and training for races. I watched her fight her way back from a serious injury with grace and spirit, and not only has she become an amazing blocker, but when she also decides to jam, she isn’t one to mess with either. As president last year, she navigated the league through some rough waters, and we’ve come out stronger and more unified than ever, thanks to her guiding hand. She is warm, kind, whip-smart, and tough as nails.
And she will be missed, so much. It’s hard to say goodbye to anyone, but it will be especially hard to say goodbye to Rat as she takes the track for one last time next month, and the Rat-shaped hole in our hearts that she leaves behind will be hard to fill.
We wish you well, Rat, and we will never forget you. You are our derby sister for life.
<3 Viva Glam
- Joined PRG: Founding Member
- Position on the track: Blocker, Pivot and occasional Jammer
- Home Team: Damas de los Muertos
- Number: 77
- Committees: HR, President (2013)
- Birthday: May 29
- Hometown: Brentwood, CA
Comments from her league mates:
- Rat was vital to helping the league succeed in the early years with her organization skills and ability to get things done. Always there to help – whether it’s a helping hand, a helping word, a cooked meal or a sewing project. Always positive, even when recovering from a major injury. Always a calming voice of reason amidst chaos.
- She is an inspiration to me on and off the track, and I will miss her. On the track she is one of the blockers to beat, and off the track her warmth, humor, and absolute awesomeness make her a wonderful friend to have.
- Inspires me to be a better player.
- Miss Rat Frink… she was the first vet I was paired up with when the Fresh Meat/PRGU had a lucky night of skating on their schedule. I think only 2 or 3 of us showed up so I was feeling a little intimidated being surrounded by these incredible skaters. Rat took me under her wing, basically kept me up to speed with the drills, gave me feedback, and was an all around nice gal. By the end of the night my nerves were gone and I felt like I was going to be able to play. I owe a lot of that new found confidence to Rat. Since then, I’ve grown to know her and her kiddos and I love them all! Great stories, fantastic smiles, and lots of derby love. She will be missed from the team but it will be a treat when we get to see her (even if she can’t cheer because she’s a ref!).
- She is invaluable to the team on and off the track and she will be sorely missed.
- Rat has always been UBER supportive, and genuine in helping me & other noobs to learn the ropes. A great Big Sis, always patient, encouraging, and willing to explain things. I can’t imagine PRG without her. She will be greatly missed. She does wear the wrong home team colors, but she bleeds maroon & orange. <3